Corrupted Meta

Unofficial support for the creating and editing of metas.
Oba1

Corrupted Meta

Post #1 »

I was editing my character control meta and it seems I've corrupted it somehow. I don't think I was editing it on two different clients, but after a /vt refresh and a reload, it said

[VTank] Error: Attempted to load invalid or corrupt meta profile

Is there any way to fix this/recover the file?

Dmdtt

Post #2 »

find the error it in, rule of thumb is whenever editing a meta in notepad make a backup of it because its very easy to miss a line somewhere or forget to update total # of rules at beginning of meta then it corrupts.

what were you editing in your control meta?

Oba1

Post #3 »

I was adding new chat capture expressions to handle characters following whoever issued the command (follow, using a portal, life stone recall, etc.) I was condensing them down to a single rule rather than one for each toon who could possibly issue the command.

I opened the meta in notepad, but I wasn't sure how to even spot an error since the format is so outside my experience. I looked at the rule I was editing right before the corruption, but maybe I can revisit that (especially if it means I don't have to rebuild the meta.) Good to know that the beginning also needs to be edited as well though. I never would have picked that up on my own.

Joeblow8579

Post #4 »

It's also possible that Windows saved a prior copy of the meta file in a system snapshot, if you have that option turned on. You could potentially roll back to the prior version and then start over with your edits.

I always keep an up-to-date backup of my vtank folder somewhere else on my hard drive just in case I completely screw everything up. It's saved my bacon more than once.