Integrated Graphics

Discussion on a variety of topics. Ask general Vtank questions here.
Xtalibur

Integrated Graphics

Post #1 »

Anyone run multiple accounts with integrated graphics? Thinking about buying a separate machine just for macroing, not really sure how important gpu is. I know my cpu runs pretty hard if I'm running 9+ accounts together in the same area, and I've read that 16gb of ram is important for long term macroing, which makes sense. But the game doesn't really seem to use the gpu that much, and a lot of decent priced machines I can buy with a lot of ram and cpu power come with integrated graphics. However, I don't want to buy one of these and then wind up getting bottlenecked by the gpu. Thanks

doog

Post #2 »

budget approximately 2gb of RAM for your OS and 2gb for each client, round that down a little for the likely memory needed to run clients calmly. Figure "roughly" 1.5 clients will consume a hyperthreaded compute "core" depending upon its age. Newer ones are faster, clear work more quickly and are available for more tasks.

my current config is a 4770k CPU (8 logical processors, four actual cores) and 32 gb RAM. It runs ten clients, decal, 6-12 other windows very calmly. I did recently upgrade from a 770 to 1070 graphics card, and all the window framerate issues I ever saw with that many windows open dissappeared with the new supercomputer GPU installed.

Integrated 6k/more recent graphics are probably going to work. Do expect an ages old bug where textures turn grey/white to follow you around running multiple clients. Been seeing that for a decade (for as long as I've been multiboxing AC).

Also recognize that just because a window is not refreshing doesn't mean it's not working. At times on a marginal rig you might not *see* windowed clients updating, and they are. Minimize the number of decal add ons you run and you can get 20-24 hours of run time before needing to reset things, in some cases more. I've heard of folks being able to run macros 2-3 days, I can't, but have spoken to folks who have whittled down the configuration to run for that long. The primary symptom of needing to reset the client are decal add ons reporting memory corruption.