What do YOU need explained

Discussion on a variety of topics. Ask general Vtank questions here.
Dmdtt

Post #21 »

yaroz wrote:I don't use the /mt use closestportal, since not all portals are actually portals. What I did was set up a !usethis command where it will issue a new Expression Chat of

Code: Select all

\/f \!usenearest +cstr[wobjectgetobjectclass[wobjectgetselection[]]]
Then I have three rules that act on the /f !usenearest ## (14 - npc, 37 - portal, or 25 - vendor), which will do an Expression Chat of this:

actiontryuseitem[wobjectfindnearestbyobjectclass[##]] (substitue ## for the actual number)
I think Matron in colo mini's is actually a NPC, and doing a /mt useclosestportal would always send them packing to one of the other minis. This also works on the Tentical Weapons quest.. can't remember the name of the portal though. Until we get substrings, I think this is probably the best way to do it.
that's quite clever. thanks for sharing!

Doulos

Post #22 »

New to learning expressions and don't fully understand them as I'm not the most computer literate person. But my question is...is there a way to close a corpse with expression after looting a specific item and trigger another character to loot and do the same thing? If so, would someone mind showing me what this looks like in writing it into a meta?

Also looking for an example that could be used universally with locked doors and unlocking with expression. I run several lum quests that have locked doors and my leader picks up the key and meets the other toons at the door. Would like to see if someone could help me see how this could be written. I'm a visual learner so any help would be much appreciated.

Rathanos

Post #23 »

What I do for VR is issue the command "/f !portal" which then loads a circular nav of /mt uselp portal and pause for 2seconds. After portal space is entered I have it clear the nav. This works well as /mt use closestportal does not work for VR ports. Hope this helps!

Rathanos

Post #24 »

Doulos wrote:New to learning expressions and don't fully understand them as I'm not the most computer literate person. But my question is...is there a way to close a corpse with expression after looting a specific item and trigger another character to loot and do the same thing? If so, would someone mind showing me what this looks like in writing it into a meta?

Also looking for an example that could be used universally with locked doors and unlocking with expression. I run several lum quests that have locked doors and my leader picks up the key and meets the other toons at the door. Would like to see if someone could help me see how this could be written. I'm a visual learner so any help would be much appreciated.
I think that would be pretty difficult to program, so I'll leave that to the experts. What I do is when I tell everyone to start, the person who issued the command is the "leader" and everyone else is a "follower". Only the leader will loot keys(leader loot profile) and everyone else will loot just the quest items(follower loot profile).

It does require two separate metas and loot profiles, but the initial meta loads everything as it is supposed to based on who gives the command.

For instance, \[Fellowship\] (|).* (say), \"!start\"$ loads the leader meta/profile and \[Fellowship\] (|).* (says), \"!start\"$ loads the follower meta/profile

I have a link to my 5 lum quest metas that are in a chain at http://umbrasarmy.freeforums.org/rath-s-metas-t66.html. It is in Beta mode, so it isn't perfect, but might give you an idea of how I do it since you're a visual learner. It still works pretty well from the feedback I get, and it is ideal for a group of 2-4 but will still work well for a group of 2-8. Haven't tested it much lately since I mainly just do rynthid, hosh, touotu, and VR recently
Last edited by Rathanos on May 29th, 2015, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

yaroz

Post #25 »

Or you could just have it set a variable (isLeader) and have two conditions within a single meta.

Rathanos

Post #26 »

There you go, that's a better idea, lol.

Xtalibur

Post #27 »

Doulos wrote:Also looking for an example that could be used universally with locked doors and unlocking with expression. I run several lum quests that have locked doors and my leader picks up the key and meets the other toons at the door. Would like to see if someone could help me see how this could be written. I'm a visual learner so any help would be much appreciated.
Expression Action:

actiontryapplyitem[wobjectfindininventorybyobjectclass[13], wobjectfindnearestdoor[]]

should work most times, but I've never used it. If you have multiple keys in your inventory it might mess up though.

Dmdtt

Post #28 »

well if you have a meta for the entire quest id say have leader run a route once it reaches the door and has the key in inventory that uses the key on the door then tries to use the door, then have the entire group react off if the door is open to continue further.

Expr wobjectgetisdooropen[wobjectfindnearestdoor[]]==1
the above expression will react off if the nearest door is open.

Doulos

Post #29 »

Cool thanks guys. I run 6 chars in a single "control" meta. But yes, I was referring to a mets that runs an entire quest. I'll tinker with this info and see what I come up with. Thanks again.

Doulos

Post #30 »

Is there an easy way, or is it even possible, to create a command within a meta to turn on/off 'let other players give you items' under the character option tab? I'm thinking a chat command like !gifts and !nogifts to toggle it on/off. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.