Possible solution for corrupted .dat files running multiple clients off a single install

Plugin/Utility Releases and Community Support. Do not release software without the author's consent.
Snail Farmer

Possible solution for corrupted .dat files running multiple clients off a single install

Post #1 »

Ok I have an update for those of us who constantly get the corrupted client_cell_1.dat while using a single install path.

Itzlegend of Thistledown believes he has found the solution. I have not tested it yet myself as I haven't had the time. I figured I would post his findings here in case someone else would like to test it. He believes it is a problem with inherited permissions. These are the steps he said he took to solve his problem:

1. 1:07:03 [General] Itzlegend says, "for Client cell 1.dat portal.dat highres.dat aclauncher.exe ac.exe you have to go in and set each as admin (to cut about half the steps)"

2. 1:07:15 [General] Itzlegend says, "then go to each file permistions"

3. 1:08:34 [General] Itzlegend says, "security > advanced button Disable inheritence"

4. 1:09:00 [General] Itzlegend says, "convert inheritied permistions to explicit permitiions"

5. 1:09:16 [General] Itzlegend says, "then click each of the options and set them to full access"

If anyone does test this, please post your results so we know if this is a good solution or not. Good Luck!

EDIT: I began testing this method last night on my main computer (Running Windows 10). I've been running for 15 hours with zero issues now, so I figured I'd update this post with the exact steps I took to make them more clear.

I edited the permissions on these files one at a time: client_cell_1.dat, portal.dat, client_highres.dat, aclauncher.exe, and acclient.exe.

To edit the permissions, right click on the file, and click on properties.

* On my computer, down at the bottom on the General tab, I noticed a message that stated: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." with a check box to the right saying Unblock. I checked the box, and hit apply.

Next go to the Security tab. At the bottom click on the Advanced button. Another window will pop up, and there will be a group of buttons that say: Add, Remove, View, Disable inheritance. Click on Disable inheritance. There will be a popup box with two options. The first option is to Convert inherited permissions into explicit permissions on this object. Click this option. Once you do that you'll notice the other three buttons (Add, Remove, View) have changed to Add, Remove, and Edit. Above these buttons is the box labeled Permission entries. On my computer there were 4 entries (Authenticated Users, Users, Administrators, and SYSTEM). Click on each of these and click edit one at a time. Another window will pop up, and check Full Control there, and click Ok. Once all your entries say Full Control, click Apply, then Ok, then Ok again to close out of the file properties.

Do the same for each of the files listed.

** I won't consider this a success until it's been a lot longer than a day. I will update again either in a week to say it's still good or sooner if I find it's not. Again, if anyone else tests this please post your results also.

Snail Farmer

Post #2 »

Ok update time. I did not have a problem with any corrupted .dat files using this method, but I did have a problem that I'm not sure is related. After awhile anything VVS couldn't be clicked on. So I went back to multiple installs. This may still work for the rest of you however.

Immortalbob
Site Admin

Post #3 »

Snail Farmer wrote:Ok update time. I did not have a problem with any corrupted .dat files using this method, but I did have a problem that I'm not sure is related. After awhile anything VVS couldn't be clicked on. So I went back to multiple installs. This may still work for the rest of you however.
this could be related to how Thwarg Launcher renames the AC client window for each running client.
Immortalbob of MT

Snail Farmer

Post #4 »

Immortalbob wrote:
Snail Farmer wrote:Ok update time. I did not have a problem with any corrupted .dat files using this method, but I did have a problem that I'm not sure is related. After awhile anything VVS couldn't be clicked on. So I went back to multiple installs. This may still work for the rest of you however.
this could be related to how Thwarg Launcher renames the AC client window for each running client.
Thanks Bob but that's not it. I've had the window renaming disabled for a long time now.