Utility Belt Networking question

Plugin/Utility Releases and Community Support. Do not release software without the author's consent.
breakdown444

Utility Belt Networking question

Post #1 »

Hey all,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used utility belt on a network and gotten the vital sharing to work across multiple computers? I am familiar with generally how this all works, I've tried port forwarding to an external IP address and using that, I've tried creating fixed IP addresses for my machines, and pointing them all to my main machine, but I haven't had any luck getting the clients to communicate. The default network IP is set to localhost 127.0.0.1. Nothing I have tried has worked and I can't find any documentation on the website as to how to accomplish this. Seeking advice =P

ACMindless

Post #2 »

I've had a quick look and I think that it doesn't work.

If you change the default '127.0.0.1' (local loopback, only usable on the computer you're on) to 0.0.0.0 (which should normally match all IP addresses on your computer) then it throws an error (shown in the exceptions.txt in the UtilityBelt settings folder):
== 3/28/2024 2:00:57 PM System.ArgumentException: IPv4 address 0.0.0.0 and IPv6 address ::0 are unspecified addresses that cannot be used as a target address.
Parameter name: hostNameOrAddress
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient..ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
at UBNetworking.UBClient.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in H:\projects\utilitybelt.gitlab.io\UBNetworking\UBClient.cs:line 76

Having a look at the code in the GitLab repository there are some comments that seem to indicate that this should work. However any attempt at changing it to another IP caused it to fail. Even trying to get Windows to port forward from it's network IP to localhost and then using the network IP on the 2nd instace on the same computer failed.
It may be that it's an error that the creators could look at but currently it just doesn't seem possible.